Nickname: de Godenzonen (the sons of the Gods)
Stadium: Amsterdam ArenA (capacity 52,342)
2010-2011 position: Champions
Current position: 4th
Top scorer: Miralem Sulejmani (10 goals in 14 games in the league this season)
Top talent: Christian Eriksen
Coaching team: Frank de Boer (manager) and Dennis Bergkamp (assistant manager)
European success: European Cup (4), Cup Winners’ Cup (1), UEFA Cup (1) and UEFA Super Cup (2).
Europe this season: Finished 3rd in Group D behind Real Madrid and Lyon. Despite finishing on the same points as Lyon, they were knocked out on goal difference, after drawing both games against Lyon 0-0. Lyon beat Dinamo Zagreb 7-1 in one of the group stage games.
– Johan Cruyff’s old shirt number, 14, was retired by the club in honour of their legend.
– Like Spurs, Ajax are seen to have “Jewish roots” after their stadium was located next to the Jewish neighbourhood in the 1930s. Whilst their fans aren’t predominantly Jewish, they have embraced the connection and chant “Jews! Jews!” (Joden) at games.
– United played against Ajax in the 1st Round of the UEFA Cup in 1976. United lost 1-0 away but in front of 60,000 people at Old Trafford, won 2-0, thanks to goals from Macari and McIlroy. United played a team with an average age of 23-years-old that night, against the Dutch side who went on to be crowned Champions that season.
– “Ajax are a good team and I’ve never faced them in competitive European football,” said Ferguson. “I’m looking forward to it.”
– The first leg will take at the Amsterdam ArenA on Thursday 16 February, KO 6pm (GMT), with the second leg at Old Trafford on Thursday 23 February, KO 8.05pm (GMT).
The RoM 2017-18 Season Preview is available for just £5. It includes an EXCLUSIVE interview with Paul Scholes, a Q&A with the country's top journalists about our transfer targets, articles by brilliant United writers, and so much more. All profit goes to Trafford Macmillan so please support this fantastic cause.