After Rafael Benitez’s very public melt down last season, some people have tried to make the same claims about Sir Alex Ferguson’s sanity following his statement which called City a “small club” with a “small club mentality”.
Ferguson once criticised Benitez for calling Everton a “small club” so comparisons are being made. I just have a few thoughts on this.
1. Everton have spent 107 seasons in the top flight, more than any other club in England.
2. Only United, Liverpool and Arsenal have won more League titles than Everton.
3. Everton have won a total of 24 trophies, City have 12.
4. Everton’s stadium isn’t owned by the council. City’s stadium is.
5. Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves and Huddersfield have won more League titles than City. Sunderland have won twice as many.
6. Everton last won a trophy in 1995. They last played in a final in 2009. City last won a trophy in 1976. They last played in a final in 1981.
7. When Everton bought players from Liverpool they didn’t feel the need to run an advertising campaign with the sole intention of winding Liverpool fans up. They weren’t that arsed what the bigger club in their city thought, they weren’t that obsessed.
Ferguson said City are a “small club with a small club mentality” because that is the truth. He criticised Benitez for calling Everton a “small club” because they’re not. It’s not rocket science.