Andre Marriner is set to referee the derby after rumours that Howard Webb was going to get it. Marriner hasn’t caused us a great deal of problems over the years but any issue that has arisen with him is scouse-related.
1. Failed to send Jamie Carragher off for this challenge in the 87th minute at Anfield. He was the last man.
2. Failed to send Jamie Carragher off or award a penalty for this challenge at Anfield.
3. Handed out no punishment to Steven Gerrard who stuck two fingers up at him and told him to fuck off.
4. Made no attempt to deal with Luis Suarez after Patrice Evra told him he had repeatedly been called “negro”.
FA report: He recalled Evra telling him that he was being called black. He said that he told the players to get on with it, and calm down. That is why he took charge of the situation and really did not take on board what was being said to him.
Out of interest…
- He was the referee for our 2-1 victory over City at Old Trafford last season.
- He has given 5 red cards in 25 games this season.
- Earlier this season, he was dumped from Premier League duty as punishment for allowing Blackburn’s controversial goal at Wigan after the ‘corner that never was’. Marriner failed to see that Blackburn striker Yakubu had failed to touch the ball and so allowed Morten Gamst Pedersen to dribble it from the corner flag into the penalty box to set up David Hoilett to score.
Win cash for your Manchester United team knowledge. Share tips and comments to win part of £11,000 monthly! It's 100% free to enter, join OLBG now.