Reports from Italy this evening have claimed that Ivan Perisic, a player linked strongly with Manchester United all summer, is set to sign a new £90,000-a-week contract with Inter Milan.
Perisic scored 11 and assisted 11 goals in 36 appearances last season. His crossing ability made him a key target for Jose Mourinho following the capture of Romelu Lukaku, with the hope the Croatian could boost our striker’s goal tally.
Last month, Inter Milan’s manager, Luciano Spalletti, claimed the player would be allowed to leave if the club’s evaluation was met. Inter were holding out for £50 million but United were not prepared to pay such a sum for a player who is set to turn 29 this season.
Perisic cut an unhappy figure as he boarded the plane for Inter’s pre-season tour and was pictured away from the group.
Yet with United unprepared to pay Inter’s asking price, it appears as though Perisic is set to commit himself beyond his current contract which expires in 2020.
On Friday, Mourinho was dismissive of United’s chances of landing the fourth target he asked for, believed to be Perisic. He instead claimed he may have to dip in to the transfer window in January or the following summer to find the profile he was looking for.
“I don’t think we are unless something happened that put us in market again,” he said. “I told Mr Woodward obviously my plans were four but I also told him ‘no pressure from me – do what you think is the best for the club’. I’m happy with the squad we have. I am ready to go without a fourth player. If we are out of the market I am fine. I am okay.”
Antoine Griezmann was set to sign for United this summer but Atletico’s transfer ban tugged at his better nature and he was convinced to sign a contract extension instead. With their ban lifted in January and Diego Costa set on returning to the Spanish club, there may be the possibility of United going back in for Griezmann halfway through the season.