1. For whatever reason, Craven Cottage has been a difficult place for United to get a result in recent years. Tonight we more than made up for that, thrashing Fulham 5-0 without even looking like we were trying hard. This was the form of the start of the season again, blowing the opposition out of the water without even having to get out of second gear. There was some lovely passing and great finishes to set everything up nicely for the festive period.
2. Ryan Giggs scored that all important league goal to continue his record as the only player to score in every Premier League season. It wasn’t his best, with a deflection taking it over the keeper, but his all round contribution was good and he got an assist for Nani’s goal.
3. It’s rare for a team to score five goals and for each one to be a different goalscorer. After picking up so many 1-0 wins this season and being wasteful in front of goal, it was refreshing to see our players put away their chances.
4. Another costly game in terms of injuries, with both Phil Jones and his replacement, Ashley Young, being taken off. Reports have suggested that Jones has fractured his cheekbone and will be out for six weeks (I’ll go for four, because it’s Jones) which is a massive loss for us, given how well he has played in the centre of our midfield. On the upside, Dimitar Berbatov returned to the team tonight and scored a lovely goal which hopefully will help his confidence.
5. Wayne Rooney has upped his game recently and it was great to see that rewarded with a top class goal. He rarely scores belters like that these days so I was really happy to see that go in.
6. Our away fans were in great voice tonight. Ironic chants of “justice for Evra”, mocking the supporters in Pity City for forever playing the victim, followed by Luis Suarez’s chant with his name replaced by “racist bastard” were the best of the night. “Giggs, Giggs is going to Amsterdam” also got a fair airing tonight too.