1. Days like yesterday have the potential to win you or lose you the title. When it’s 1-1 with 90 minutes played after a lacklustre second half you’re thinking it’s a day that could lose you the title. It doesn’t matter that Norwich have performed so well this season, sitting in 8th place despite getting beaten, we needed the points. We’ve got tough games coming up and we couldn’t afford to draw. The win probably papers over the cracks of what was a disappointing performance from United but I’m too happy with the win to think too much about that right now.
2. If Ryan Giggs’ career was a film, you would roll your eyes and think it was the cheesiest, most unbelievable nonsense you’d ever seen. He made his 900th appearance for the club and scored an injury time winner. The word “legend” is used far too frequently in football. If there’s any player in this country today that the word can be used for accurately, it is him. Wow. He was more effective when he moved inside from the wing and was in the right place at the right time to win us the game. He had a chance to score before that after a brilliant ball from Jones saw Ryan’s effort come back off he crossbar. What a way to mark his special day.
3. Whilst Giggs stole all the headlines, as you’d imagine, it was David de Gea who was our Man of the Match and who ensured we got the win. He made a brilliant reaction save with his foot a few yards out after a lovely ball from Norton to Pilkington and a great save from a powerful Wilbraham shot from outside box. Better than that, he caught the ball when he should catch it and punched it when he should punch it. He looked confident and assured when jumping up with an opponent when a cross came in too. One of his best performances for the club. Credit should also go to Jonny Evans and Rio Ferdinand who did a great defensive job too.
4. Paul Scholes has now scored his second important goal since returning from retirement last month. Is it a worry that our two old men are scoring our goals for us? No, I wouldn’t say so. “If they are good enough, they’re old enough” Sir Matt Busby said, referring to our young lads who took English football by storm. Surely the same can be applied at the other end of the spectrum. If they’re good enough, they’re not too old. At the moment, they’re certainly proving they’re still good enough, so let’s not get bent out of shape about it.
5. Nani and Ashley Young have been frustrating over recent weeks since coming back from injuries, and probably before, but with them assisting a goal each, can we complain? Young’s ball to Giggs was perfect, just the kind of delivery we bought him for, so let’s hope they can keep it up. Antonio Valencia is meant to be back for Spurs, hopefully, so it would be great to have some real fierce competition for starting places on our wing. Nani showed some lovely skill early on, only for Norwich thug Bradley Johnson to come crashing in to him, retaliating for being made to look like a mug. More of the same, please Nani.
6. Danny Welbeck and Chicharito, who are fighting it out to start alongside Wayne Rooney, were frustrating in front of goal. Welbeck did force a very good save, with the goalie’s finger tips just taking the ball past the post, but in the dying moments at 1-1, Welbeck should have won us the game. He somehow got his header completely wrong and instead of letting it just bounce of his head, went to place it, and missed the ball. In the first half, Chicharito was one on one with the keeper with a chance to try and kill off the game, but stabbed it tamely straight at him. Must do better lads.
7. Seeing how much Giggs’ winner meant to the players was great to see. Phil Jones and Rio Ferdinand in particular went absolutely bonkers. Our players want this title. It would be nice if they played with the urgency we showed after their equaliser right from the beginning though. Get the game won then take your foot off the gas, if necessary. It doesn’t seem to matter which eleven players go out there though, Ferguson inspires this never say die attitude at this club, which I hope will carry us through until May.
INPLAY allows us to chat in real time about the latest United news and the events on match day. Join the our chatroom on your phone for free: RoM chatroom. Code = ASYKP