Yesterday, Nani revealed that he might not be leaving Manchester United this summer, as most people had expected. This news was met with disappointment from plenty of reds, with his poor form last season leading people to believe he’d had enough chances at the club.
He didn’t play well in 2012/2013, although he suffered from injuries and wasn’t given a regular run in the team even when fit.
Still, is one bad season justification for wanting rid? How did he perform in recent seasons?
- Started 24 games, played in 29
- Assisted 10 goals, only 5 players assisted more (and Valencia was the only one of those to play in fewer games)
- Scored 8 league goals (notably against Arsenal, Chelsea) and a total of 10 (not including the 2 he scored against City in the Community Shield).
- 1.8 successful dribbles per game (7th highest in the league)
- 0.62 goals/assists per game. For comparison: Valencia 0.63, Silva 0.58, Mata 0.56, Bale 0.53, Nasri 0.47, Walcott 0.46.
- Voted Player of the Year by his team mates
- Named Man of the Match 6 times (only Tevez, 7, and Van Persie, 8, had more)
- Started 31 games, played in 33
- Assisted 14 goals, more than any player in the league
- Scored 9 league goals (notably against City and Spurs) and a total of 10.
- 2.5 successful dribbles per game (2nd highest in the league)
- 0.70 goals/assists per game. For comparison: Walcott 0.57, Young 0.5, Arshavin 0.46, Silva 0.31, Milner 0.19.
- Started 19 games, played in 23
- Assisted 6 goals (20th in the league)
- Scored 4 goals in the league and a total of 6, including the 2 against Bayern Munich (and not including 1 against Chelsea in the Community Shield)
- 0.43 goals/assists per game. For comparison: Malouda 0.61, Lennon 0.55, Milner 0.53, Valencia 0.35, Young 0.32.
Made in Manchester is available for just £3. Some of the best football writers take a player each, from Sir Bobby Charlton to Ryan Giggs, George Best to David Beckham, Duncan Edwards to Paul Scholes, and many more, with 30 articles in total. All profit goes to Trafford Macmillan so please support this fantastic cause.