Pac Macmillan are running an Eric Cantona competition which offers you the chance to win a signed Cantona United shirt as well as five signed copies of “The Rebel Who Would Be King”, written by Philippe Auclair.
RoM don’t have any signed goodies but we do have a copy of the new book, which hasn’t been released yet, to give away. All you had to do was send in your favourite Cantona quotes.
We had loads of entries, so thanks to everyone who took the time, it was fun reading them all. I’ve short-listed the top ten and then just picked at random people who submitted the top three quotes to win prizes (sorry to those of you who also sent me the top three quotes!), with the book going to Ged Hanley, from Whitefield, North Manchester.
10. “I’d give all the champagne I’ve ever drunk to be playing alongside him in a big European match at Old Trafford.” – George Best
9. “I do not play against a particular team, I play against the idea of loosing”
8. “I’m proud of what i achieved there, but a life built on memories is not much of a life at all”. Which Gary Roberts believes perfectly encompasses United’s view on the club – proud of their past but looking to the future.
7. “An artist in my eyes, is someone who can lighten up a dark room. I have never and will
never find difference between the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the final of the World
Cup in 1970 and the poetry of the young Rimbaud, who stretches cords from steeple to steeple and garlands from window to window. There is in each of these human manifestations an expression of beauty which touches us and gives us a feeling of eternity.”
6. “I will never forget anything about my time there and the way the fans treated me, and until the last minute of my life I will have this club in my heart.”
5. “I’m so proud the fans still sing my name, but I fear tomorrow they will stop. I fear it because I love it. And everything you love, you fear you will lose.”
4. “My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan.”
3. “No, it is me.” Eric Cantona, after being asked if the greatest-ever french footballer was Zinédine Zidane or Michel Platini. (Neil Shingadia)
2. Paul Ince about Cantona before he entered court: ‘We stayed at the Croydon Park hotel. So we got up in the morning and I’ve got me suit on – the nuts, know what I mean? I knock on Éric’s door and he’s standing in jacket, white shirt, long collars like that [he gestures to describe long, pointed collars], unbuttoned so you can see his chest. “Eric, you can’t go to court like that”, I told him and he says, “I am Cantona, I can go as I want”‘. (Chris Leonard)
1. “I feel close to the rebelliousness and vigour of the youth here. Perhaps time will separate us, but nobody can deny that here, behind the windows of Manchester, there is an insane love of football, of celebration and of music.” (Ged Hanley)
The RoM Mancunia Merchandise shop has added these quotes to t-shirts which are on sale from £8.
RoM shop for: UK, US, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Monaco, Switzerland, The Netherlands, France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Canada, Cyprus, Iceland and Japan.
RoM shop with alternative designs for: UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Singapore and Korea (Republic).
The RoM 2017-18 Season Preview is available for just £5. It includes an EXCLUSIVE interview with Paul Scholes, a Q&A with the country's top journalists about our transfer targets, articles by brilliant United writers, and so much more. All profit goes to Trafford Macmillan so please support this fantastic cause.