– United have had a higher average attendance than City EVERY SINGLE SEASON since 1947.
– United players have won the European Player of the Year four times (Sir Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, George Best and Cristiano Ronaldo). City players have won it zero times.
– When City won the league in the 1968, they had the 6th highest attendance in the country. United had the highest average attendance of 57,552 (more than 10,000 higher than any club that season).
– Since City won their last trophy in 1976, United have won 11 League titles, 2 European Cups, 8 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 Intercontinental Cup and 1 FIFA World Club Cup.
– When United were playing in Division 2 during the 1974-1975 season, they still had the highest average attendance of any club in the country, including Division 1.
– City have gone 35 years without a trophy. United once went 37 years without a trophy… but for 11 of those years no football was played because of World War 1 and World War 2.
– Between 1946 and 1949 United played at Maine Road whilst reconstruction work was being done on Old Trafford after the bombings in the war. In the first season, when City won the league, United had an average attendance of 4,662 more than City at their own stadium. In the second season, United had an average attendance of 12,165 more than City at their own stadium. In the third season, United had an average attendance of 10,109 more than City at their own stadium. Over the three years United were at Maine Road, they had an average attendance of 8,979 more than City.
– United players have won the PFA Player of the Year 11 times (Mark Hughes 2, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Teddy Sheringham, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Cristiano Ronaldo 2, Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney). City players have won it zero times.
– Between 1947 and the year before the Munich Air Disaster, there was an average of almost 7,000 more United fans attending games than City.
– Going back to 1894, United have played City 157 times in all competitions. United have won 65 and City have won 42.
– City were a more successful club on the pitch than United in the 1970s, yet there was a difference of over 13,000 in our average attendances, with United the best supported club of the decade.
The RoM Manchester United 2022-23 season preview is now available for just £6. It includes exclusive interviews with Patrice Evra and Kleberson, articles from the country's best football writers about our expectations for the season ahead and our brightest talents, as well as proposed transfer business and which youth players to keep an eye out for. All profit goes to Trafford Macmillan so please support this fantastic cause.