Everyone knows Manchester United is one of the most successful clubs in Europe. With over 100 years of existence, that’s a lot of history to admire. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or even a fan cheering for rival teams, you must appreciate the team’s achievements, especially in the Premier League.
Without a doubt, Manchester United has a long and illustrious history of success, with trophies filling its cabinet. This success, combined with the team’s popularity among fans and sports pundits, always gives it great odds at football betting sites UK.
Over the years, the Red Devils have broken numerous records that would roll over to a very long list. So, here are the club’s 15 most impressive records of all time.
- Manchester United became the first team to win the English Premier League in 1992. This win was possible because they had a more talented squad, and Alex Ferguson had just recently taken the club’s reins.
- On May 28th 1968, Manchester United became the first English club to win the European Cup, defeating Benfica 4-1 at Wembley Stadium in London. The victory capped an excellent year for Matt Busby’s team—they had finished second in the First Division, reached the FA Cup final and won their first major European trophy.
- Manchester United is the most dominant club in England, having won the Premier League a record 13 times, and this record is seven more titles than the other closest team. The Red Devils have been known for their attacking style of play, with players such as Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, George Best and Eric Cantona all over their trophy case. They have also produced some of the world’s greatest strikers over time, including Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.
- The Red Devils are the most successful team in England’s top division. The club has won 20 titles since 1889, holding a record no other team has yet to break.
- Manchester United have won the FA Cup the most (11 times) and appeared in the most finals (18 times), both shared with their top rival Arsenal.
- Manchester United is the most successful team in Community Shield history, with 16 outright wins. The club’s first Community Shield win came in 1908 against Queens Park Rangers, played at Stamford Bridge.
- The club’s 45-game undefeated streak in all major competitions from 1998 to 1999 is another remarkable record that Manchester United set. The streak began with a 2-2 draw against Leicester City on August 15th, 1998, and ended with a 2-1 victory against Tottenham Hotspur on May 16th, 1999. The streak was the longest in English football history until Arsenal FC surpassed it in the 2003-2004 season.
- Red Devils take pride in having Alex Ferguson, the Premier League’s longest-tenured manager.
- Manchester United won the Premier League, FA Cup, and UEFA Champions League, making them the first English football team to do it in a single season.
- Manchester United sold Cristiano Ronaldo for £80,000,000 in July 2009, shattering the previous record for the highest transfer fee.
- According to Forbes, Manchester United is the most valuable football club in the world.
- On October 9th 2022, Manchester United broke another record when they became the first team to win 100 Premier League matches after conceding the first goal.
Other Impressive records include the following:
- Most away victories in the English Premier League.
- Most home victories in the English Premier League.
- Manchester United’s coach, Alex Ferguson, has won the most League titles with the club.
Manchester United has one of the greatest football stories of all time, and we are far from seeing its final chapter. With top stars over the years, legendary managers and a cabinet full of trophies to prove that, Manchester United’s glory shines bright. We can only expect more records to be made by the club.